Wisdom of the Kitchen Witch



        This was not the post I had planned for this Samhain Eve. I had this whole thing about the beauty of death and decay that autumn represents, but this one hit me this morning and I thought it was slightly more pertinent to more people. (Note: I typically need a full bottle of red wine under my belt to wax this philosophical, but I assure you that I am completely sober.) 

        When making my coffee today, I thought I would grab my mom's old kitchen witch mug. It being one of the most important Sabbats for those of us who honor the old ways, I though she was appropriate. What I didn't think about until my first few sips of the magic bean water was all that she represents to me and what that means in the grand scheme of everything. 

        She's been in my family for almost as long as I have been alive. We moved from Chicago, IL to Salem, MA in March of 1985. I was about 4 and half at the time. She was one of the first things my mother bought in Salem. The shop she came from was probably one of the numerous gift shops that once populated Pickering Wharf, but are now long gone. 

        The lore of the kitchen witch is that having one in your kitchen will ensure that your food stores will always be full. At least I think that's how it goes. I grew up poor and my family rarely had much, but we always seemed  to have enough. In this culture of "more, more, more" this is certainly something more people need to think about. When I see trending posts about billionaire tech bros buying yet another multi-million dollar mansion or buying another company that will inevitably run into the ground, I think "Is this making you happy? Is it? Seems like you're trying to fill a void or overcompensate for... something else." I still don't have a lot, but I have roof over my head, food in the fridge and the pantry and good friends who love me either in spite of or because of my eccentricities which is definitely food for the soul. It's not fame and fortune, but it's enough to keep me sane and grounded. 

        Her appearance certainly shows her age. She's chipped in a couple of places, but no fatal cracks and she still does her job quite well. If that's not a profound life lesson, I don't know what is. We all have our damage, our chips and imperfections. If you don't, you haven't lived a day in your life. Experience always has a price, but it gives you character and stories to tell. As long as you can still show up and be present for yourself and the people who appreciate you, you're getting the job of living done. 

        I guess this is all connected to my thoughts recently on the arbitrary metrics we use to determine and define the most ridiculous social constructs. Success is certainly one of them. Who decided being obnoxiously wealthy meant you were successful? And who decided that wealth brought happiness? Peace of mind, maybe, if you don't have to worry about how you'll pay the bills, but that's not the same thing. Just look at the some of those wealthy tech bros making headlines every other day. These men are not happy. They're using money to replace their absent personalities and fill voids in their souls. Their love lives are a mess, they're trying too hard to be all things to all people and they never seem to have enough. These men are Wendigos. Nothing can satiate their hunger for more. 

        It is normal to want more when you don't have much. I often think about what I would do if I won one of those ridiculous Powerball or Mega Millions jackpots. Interestingly, a lot of it involves philanthropic work and helping out the people who've always been there to help me. Don't get me wrong. I will have my creature comforts. I'm a Leo, dammit. A queen must have her castle and my heart is set on one in the Hollywood hills that once belonged to Bela Lugosi. (I'm super extra. I know, but you should see the kitchen!) That being said, my definition of success is still and will always be "Enough is enough". As long as I can do what I love and not have to have 3 other jobs to support myself, I will consider myself very successful. 

        And as for you, dear readers, congratulations! You're here! You're alive and reading this. You're doing okay. The last couple of years have been hell on earth for many (some more than others). I completely understand the urge to give in to hopelessness and despair, but you didn't, did you? No. You're still here, still pushing through all the bullshit and that's... enough. Keep going. You've got this. 

        In closing, I would to bestow a Samhain (that's pronounced "saw-whahn"... not "sam-hane") blessing on you all. From this Witch and her kitchen witch, may the year ahead be bountiful. May you be comforted by love, protected by good health and may you always have enough. So mote it be. Blessed Samhain to Pagan sisters, brothers and others in the Northern Hemisphere. Bright Beltane to those south of the equator and a Happy Halloween to all the Muggles who celebrate. 











 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quarrelsome Women

Seeking Loose Spirits

An Open Letter to the AMPTP